We published this (Stash of £156BILLION in gold bars found stored in former WWII canteen under London)a short time ago as a codicil to the below post.
(This site translated from the original German)
In early 1945, it became clear that the military situation of the city had become hopeless.
East of the Red Army was approaching rapidly, and from the air let the constant series of Allied bombing raids after no more. At 31 January 1945 suggested that the Minister of Finance, Ernst-Anton Kroigk before, to shift the government and the gold and foreign exchange holdings of the Reichsbank to Thuringia. An evacuation of the imperial government refused Hitler, but not the treasures of the Reichsbank. On 3 February was also the building of the Reichsbank several direct hits. For the monetary authority of the millennium, this was the signal to make their evacuation plans Ernst: From 12 February to 13 March 1945 a special train left with twenty-four railroad cars, the capital and brought the most essential part of the gold and currency reserves to Thuringia, where the shaft Kaiseroda II / III were the Wintershall AG stored in flag. The operation as well as the depot received the secret code "Walrus".
Immediately after this action brought - a directive from the Reich Chancellery - also the Berlin State Museums under their most valuable treasures in the potash mining shafts of flag.
On this day, met the commander of the Allied Streitkräfle, General Dwight D. Eisenhower, in Thuringia, and visited the flag of potash in the Rhön there stored art treasures and gold stocks to be already on the 4th April liberated Ohrdruf camp outside of the Buchenwald concentration camp to take a look.
Source: Greg Bradsher, Nazi Gold: The flag Treasure Mine, National Archives at College Park, Spring 1999
General Omar N. Bradley, A Soldier's Story, Page 540-541, 1951