Search Blog Posts

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Violations of Election Laws Continue in SC


This fwd'd E-Mail received today:
Subject: Violations of Election Laws Continue in SC
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 13:24:06 -0700
On Jan 21, 2012

7:10pm I arrive as poll watcher Pickens county elections office 222 McDaniel Ave B9 Pickens SC 29671 / 864.898.5948


I was immediately ushered into the county council chambers where a projector was displaying 726 or 746 votes broken out by candidates.


I then inquired where and when those votes were tabulated - I was told they were tabulated at 9:00am that day and as mail came in. I was then told I could not be in secure area. Very unfriendly and appeared agitated at my presence. When I got my wits I went back and declared state law allowed me to witness all aspects of the process. I was told there was little space and stand out of the way and not be talking on the phone.

8:00pm - A precinct came in without the "zero" tape (Praters Creek - I believe)

8:02pm - Campaign calls 864.898.5948 number and gets hung up on with no information on the voting process.

8:05pm - Box 216 comes in with broken seal - I request serial number of voting machine - told to wait.
Praters Creek Precinct (I believe)

8:20pm - Powdersville 2 precinct discs come in unsecured - carried by poll worker in personal folder inside left pocket.

8:53pm - 3 Sheriff's officers arrive due to campaign calling election commission's phone number above and being hung up on without being given any information.

8:55pm - Precinct lady comes in from Clemson 1 precinct writes a report that the boxes and machines for precinct were dropped off at another precinct (Stone Church @ University Baptist Church 411 Pendletion Rd Clemson, SC). I asked when machines would arrive and was told votes where already tabulated and they would be coming in later, then told they were stored at the church. Never found out exactly where they ended up by the time we departed.

9:10pm Finally get serial # from unit with broken seal (box 216) V5124783

9:20pm - Guy Vanatta arrives 864-901-6830

 
Additional Notes: When La Dona and I went to vote at Sevier Precinct (Greenville County) approx 3:30pm - We were asked "which party primary were we voting in today?" - since it's an open primary I was puzzled by this line of questions and we were told they were required to ask.

Maria & Mike Brady of Boiling Springs - Spartanburg County (864-809-8311) where asked a similar question when they asked if they answered non-republican they would NOT be allowed to vote.

The taxpayers are paying for the SCGOP primary due to an SC Supreme Court decision.  NO ONE should have been turned away.

Who instructed them to ask these questions?


9:30pm depart with tabulations and names (see attached) see signatures for county poll workers + Rodney Allen was from the election office.
Similar irregularities from Horry County - Chris Panos 843-267-0045

We appreciate you!

Sincerely holding to principle over politics, your servant and friend,

Christopher S. Lawton

Sevier Precinct President
Taylors, SC
864.325.6400