- Odyssey Confirms Discovery of SS Gairsoppa Shipwreck with £150m Silver Bullion Cargo
- SS Gairsoppa and SS Mantola Silver Cargo Recovery Expedition Underway
- Odyssey Announces First Load of Silver Cargo from 3 Miles Deep
- Sea Search Armada Seeks Rights to 1708 Shipwreck
- Odyssey Provides Operational Updates on SS Gairsoppa Recovery, Initial Silver Recovery, and HMS Victory
- Odyssey Marine Exploration Begins 2013 Gairsoppa Operations
- Odyssey Marine Exploration to Hold Conference Call on September 26, 2011
- Odyssey to Begin Commodity Wreck Program
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Silver Shipwreck: 61 tons recovered from the ocean floor
Posted by Charleston Voice
Informed readers will recall that an earlier legitimate salvage recovery by Odyssey: US Congressmen & Hillary Clinton Broker Deal to Steal $500 Million Gold & Silver Coins from US Company : In January of last year four Florida congressmen, Gus Bilirakis, Vern Buchanan, Mario Diaz-Balart and Connie Mack asked Hillary Clinton and AG Eric Holder to settle a dispute between Spain and Tampa company...
By: Paul Toscano| Producer, CNBC.com ……….
Shipwrecks and sunken treasure may seem like a story lifted from a pirate movie, but a company that finds and recovers precious cargo from the bottom of the sea has come up with a haul of silver valued at over $36 million.
On Monday, Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration announced that it had recovered over 61 tons (1.8 million ounces) of silver bullion this month from the wreck of a cargo ship torpedoed 300 miles off the coast of Ireland during World War II.
“This is the heaviest amount of precious cargo ever recovered from the deepest depth,” Odyssey’s president Mark Gordon told “Squawk on the Street” on Monday.
SS Gairsoppa Video by Odyssey Marine Exploration, Inc
The SS Gairsoppa lies approximately 3 miles below the surface of the north Atlantic Ocean. The ship sank after being hit with a torpedo on February 17, 1941. Odyssey discovered the shipwreck in 2011 and inspected the site with a remotely operated vehicle (ROV). What appear to be tea chests were observed in one cargo hold that was accessible to the ROV. The Gairsoppa’s cargo manifest included more than 1700 tons of tea and up to 7 million ounces of silver.