|photo source: http://www.la.org.au/|
- Australians Seek Gold Repatriation "Bring Home Our Gold"
- Grassroots Campaign For Australian Gold Repatriation
This followed the news that I broke in December last year that the RBA stores Australia's Gold in England:
RBA: Australia's Gold held at the Bank of England
The petition from earlier this year was tabled in the Australian Senate only a few days ago, see this link. The organiser of this petition provided the following information about the tabling of the petition:
2) Tabling of the petition is a process that just enters the petition into the official record and does not entail any parliamentary discussion or debate;
3) The utility of the petition is in its formal recording to be used in conjunction of other efforts to create action, such as:
- Make a submission to a related Senate Committee enquiry - the related Senate Committee is the Finance and Public Administration committee
- Reference to in engaging members of parliament to discuss or consider related issues
- Reference to in creating public awareness (political pressure) to take action on a particular issue
The petition reads in part…
For Australia to truly mitigate the risk to its own foreign reserves, the storage of Australia’s gold reserves can only be on Australian soil.
We believe these world events may affect the economic prosperity and welfare of the people of Australia and we therefore ask that the House (under Section 11 of the Reserve Bank Act 1959 if necessary) do all in its power to ensure that the Board of the Reserve Bank of Australia immediately acts prudently and physically repatriates Australia’s Gold Reserves.”